Rohit's nukkad

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Johnny cash - walk the line

" Hello, my name is Johnny cash", if i or some one else says this line it wieghs nothing but when Johnny Cash spoke in his husky voice it became instantly popular. Before watching the 2005 Oscar nominated movie "Walk the Line", i didn't have much idea about country music and knew next to nothing about Johnny Cash. This movie is a autobiography about johnnny cash and the title is a line from one of his popular songs. The lead actors Joaquin Pheonix and Reese Witherspoon have portraited Johnny cash and June Carter really well.
Johnny Cash is shown as a simple man who is interested in music since childhood. But in his route to fame and popularity he gets into booze and drugs but June's love helps him to get back not only to his music but also his life.
Two scence truly standout (or should i say i liked a lot)in the movie. First one is when Cash wanted to get his first song recorded and he goes to the recording company. Johnny plays a gospel song which he and his buddies have been practicing. The owner right away rejects the song. Johnny asks for the reasons for not liking the song. The owner replies that if a man has fallen in the gutter and he is about to die, and there is just one song he has to sing, he is not going to sing the song that Johnny just sang, since the song lacked soul and originality. After this Johnny plays a couple of his original songs. After listening to them, the owner records Johnny's first album and he becomes an instant hit.
Johnny didn't share a good relationship with his father (some of his songs depict this), and after he lost his career to drugs and landing in jail. He tries to get back to life and calls June's family and his parents for Thanksgiving lunch. Johnny has yet not completely recovered from his drug habits. And in a half drunkard state He asks his father(Ray Cash) on the dinner table why his father blames him for his kid brother's death (Johnny's brother died at the age of 10 in an accident) and why he was so rough on him. His father replies that he was not rough on him, he just does not likes the way Johnny lead his life. He(Ray Cash) did the best with whatever skills and talents he had. But looking at Johnny he feels sad since he didn't put his exceptional talents and skills to good use and just used it to destroy his family life, get into drugs and literally mess up everyone around him. This is a self defining moment for Johnnny. He wants to get back in life and June really helps him and together they form not only a great pair on stage but led a wonderful and happy life.
These two scenes are great because in life we have to give our best to whatever we do.Other than this there are lots of country music and songs which are good to listen to.
The movie shows that as human beings we are vunerable to failures(and they are unavoidable), but one has to gather oneself and keep going in life.

1 Comments:

  • The original "Johnny Cash" Lyrics of the Classic Song "I Walk The Line"

    "It's all about the love he finds that gives him strength to Walk the Line. Doing what he intends but not easy and with help of his love he could do it....."

    I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
    I keep my eyes wide open all the time
    I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
    Because you're mine, I walk the line

    I find it very, very easy to be true
    I find myself alone when each day is through
    Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
    Because you're mine, I walk the line

    As sure as night is dark and day is light
    I keep you on my mind both day and night
    And happiness I've known proves that it's right
    Because you're mine, I walk the line

    You've got a way to keep me on your side
    You give me cause for love that I can't hide
    For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
    Because you're mine, I walk the line

    I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
    I keep my eyes wide open all the time
    I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
    Because you're mine, I walk the line

    MP3: http://66.116.198.201/nboard/Johnny%20Cash%20-%20I%20Walk%20The%20Line.mp3

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 AM, May 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

Site Feed << Home