Rohit's nukkad

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

You won't believe what happened one night

Couple of years back when I was in grad school I had one of the weirdest experiences of my life. Now whenever I look back at the incident it cracks me up.

This happened one weekend night, I was working late in my office doing a programming assignment due the following week. Let me just give an idea about my office. Its a big room 40 feet by 40 feet with high ceiling and just rows of cubicles for graduate students. The room has one main door, an emergency exit and no windows. In a way its depressing but good when one has to focus on work without distractions.

It was about one in the morning and I was pretty tired but determined to get the assignment out of my way. When suddenly I heard a strange noise .....zhing zhing .......... I didn't paid much attention to the sound but noticed that the sound became more clearer and louder. I tried to focus all my attention on the computer screen. When suddenly a wet thing popped up between my thighs and hands, it touched my hand. I just frooze, I wanted to scream but just air came out of my mouth. I should have jumped on my desk but I just froze.

Any guesses for what this thing was. It was the nose of a full size black Labrador. After a min or so I gained control over myself got up from my chair and shooed the dog away.

Now how the hell did this dog get into this enclosed building over the weekend. I did my little bit of investigation on this. The following is my conclusion for this.
Some background story, on Friday afternoon we had some air conditioning problem in our office. And the maintenance guys had just postponed the fix till Monday morning. It was quite hot and uneasy in the office over the weekend. One could feel the discomfort initially but got used to it after a while. Someone must have left the exit door open for some air circulation and forgot to close it. The dog must have come in from this exit door.

And if you are still wondering about the zhing zhing sound ........ its the dog collar tag which made the sound. The dog just roamed around the office like a manager who over sees every one is working and left through the exit door after 5-10 minutes it visited my desk.